To Access the Database
1) Firstly you must be subscribed to the mailing list - click here to go to subscribe page
(Note you must use the web-base method of subscribing). You can choose not to receive emails from the list if you wish.
2) Having subscribed go to (using your Yahoo ID) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/alt-ed-india/
3) Once there, click on 'database' in the left hand column of options.
4) Under the heading 'Table name', click on 'Local Contact Groups'.
To Register Yourself with the Database:
1) Click "add record".
(REMEMBER, IF YOU ADD YOURSELF TO THE DATA BASE IT IS UNDERSTOOD YOU ARE WILLING FOR OTHERS TO CONTACT YOU PERSONALLY AND ANY MEMBER OF THE EMAIL GROUP CAN ACCESS THIS INFORMATION. HOWEVER, IT DOES NOT SHOW UP IN A GENERAL INTERNET SEARCH)
2) Complete the categories shown.
Note, for the database to fulfil its purpose (i.e. allowing people to contact others in their area) the boxes marked with * should definitely be completed. Other boxes are optional but choose at least one of: email address/telephone number/postal address.
3) When you have finished, click "save record".
Note, once a record is saved if you want to edit or delete it later you can only do it through the moderator at email@example.com.
To Find Others in the Database:
To find others in your area (town or state) you click on the arrow
The category below it will alphabetize.
Thus all entries for, eg Bangalore, will be together. In this way a person can discover other home educators in his/her area.
Thus local groups can be formed.